between the Kingdom of Cambodia and the People’s Republic of China
1. At the invitation of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, Premier Li Keqiang of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China paid an official visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from 10 to 11 January 2018. During the visit, Premier Li Keqiang had royal audience with His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia, held talks with Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, and laid wreathes at the Monument of Independence and paid tribute and respect at the Royal Memorial of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Norodom Sihanouk “Preah Borom Ratanak Kaudh”, the late King-Father of Cambodia.
The two sides had in-depth exchanges of views on bilateral relations and international and regional issues of common concern, reaching broad consensus. The visit achieved full success and vigorously pushed forward the Cambodia-China Comprehensive Strategic Partnership of Cooperation.
2. The Chinese side extended warm congratulations to the Cambodian side on its remarkable achievements in national development and international cooperation, reiterated its respect for the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Cambodia, and reaffirmed its support to the Cambodian people in selecting a development path which suits their national conditions. The Chinese side expressed the willingness to provide necessary assistance to Cambodia in maintaining stability, realizing development and improving people’s livelihood, as well as the wish and belief that the Cambodian people would make new progress in national construction with the blessing of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni, King of Cambodia and under the leadership of the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia headed by Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen.
The Cambodian side extended warm congratulations to the full success of the 19thNational Congress of the Communist Party of China, spoke highly of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era as a guidance of action for the entire Party, and sincerely wished and believed that the Chinese people, under the leadership of the CPC Central Committee with Secretary-General Xi Jinping as its core, would march on steadfastly towards the Two Centenary Goals and develop China into a great modern socialist country which is prosperous, strong, democratic, culturally advanced, harmonious and beautiful. The Cambodian side reaffirmed its resolute adherence to the One-China policy, and its support to the Chinese government’s efforts to safeguard national sovereignty and territorial integrity.
3. Both sides spoke highly of the remarkable progress of bilateral relations in the past 60 years since the establishment of their diplomatic relations, and noted with satisfaction that, under the joint efforts of the two countries, Cambodia-China traditional friendship had been carried forward and enhanced. There have been frequent high-level contacts, deepened mutually beneficial cooperation, active people-to-people and cultural exchanges and close coordination on multilateral occasions between the two sides. Cambodia-China relations have experienced comprehensive and profound development, bringing substantial interests to the two peoples, and making positive contribution to regional and global peace and prosperity.
Both sides agreed that to promote all-dimensional, wide-ranging and in-depth development of Cambodia-China relations is in conformity with common aspiration and fundamental interests of the two peoples, and conducive to local peace, stability and development. The two sides would carry on past traditions and take the 60thanniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations as an opportunity for forging a Cambodia-China community of common destiny with strategic significance.
4. The two sides agreed to advance Cambodia-China Comprehensive Strategic Partnership of Cooperation in the new era from the following aspects:
(1) To continue close high-level contacts, enhance strategic communication, and bear in mind the general course of Cambodia-China friendly cooperation. China will continue to facilitate His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni and Her Majesty Queen Mother Norodom Monineath for physical examination and recuperation in China, and welcomes Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen and other Cambodian leaders to visit China in flexible and various forms. Chinese leaders are willing to visit Cambodia at a time convenient for both sides.
(2) To put into full play the role of the Inter-governmental Coordination Committee between Cambodia and China, and hold the 5thmeeting of the committee in due course, in order to enhance macro guidance on and overall coordination of the cooperation in various fields between the two countries. The two Foreign Ministries, as the leading departments of the committee, should increase the efforts in mapping out and implementing plans for further development of bilateral relations, fully implement the Agreement on Strengthening Cooperation Under New Circumstances between the two Foreign Ministries.
(3) To maintain exchanges at all levels of the two defense and law enforcement departments, enhance pragmatic cooperation in such areas as training, equipment, medical service, logistics, and multilateral security, and deepen cooperation in combating transnational crimes, human trafficking, cyber crime, terrorism as well as in anti-drug operation, capacity building of law enforcement and case investigation.
(4) To speed up the effective alignment of “Belt and Road Initiative” and 13thFive-Year Plan with Cambodia’s Rectangular Strategy, National Strategic Development Plan and 2015-2025 Industrial Development Policy, to fully implement the Outline Plan for Jointly Promoting Cooperation on the Belt and Road Initiative, and to concretely promote production capacity and investment cooperation.
The two sides agreed to give full play to the guiding role of economic and trade cooperation committee between the two governments, support enterprises of the two countries to have diversified and long-term mutually beneficial cooperation.
Both sides also agreed to elevate the scale and level of bilateral trade, so as to achieve the goal of $6 billion trade volume in 2020 as scheduled. The Chinese side would organize trade promotion activities and expand import from Cambodia. The Chinese side welcomes Cambodian government and enterprises to attend the first China International Import Expo in China. China welcomed on China market more Cambodian agricultural products that meet both Chinese inspection and quarantine standards and consumer needs. To strengthen the cooperation in the field of sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS). The Chinese side would continue to assist Cambodia in such development areas as transportation, water conservancy, demining, education and medical service, actively promote the construction of the Morodok Techo multifunctional Stadium, Cambodia-China Friendship Medical Building in Phnom Penh and Tboung Khmum Provincial Hospital and other projects related to people’s livelihoods. The two sides will advance the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding on Strengthening Infrastructure Cooperation, support companies with high capability and credibility in strengthening cooperation in key fields such as infrastructure, agriculture, water and energy resources, telecommunication, industry and tourism, promote the construction and operation of Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone, and actively participate in the construction of such projects as the Phnom Penh – Sihanoukville Expressway and the new airport in Siem Reap.
Both sides agreed to vigorously push forward agricultural cooperation, jointly formulate the national modern agriculture development plan of Cambodia, establish a modern agricultural cooperation, demonstration park and advanced-processing zone for agricultural products, boost the development of processing, storage and logistics sectors for Cambodian agricultural products, and extend the industrial chain for agriculture.
(5) To host the serial celebration events of the 60thanniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Cambodia and China, aiming to enhance the mutual understanding and friendly relations between the .two peoples, particularly between the young generations. To strengthen cooperation in science and technology, education, culture, and health at local level. The Chinese side will continue to provide more Chinese governmental scholarships to the Cambodian side and train young technical talents from Cambodia. The Cambodian side will continue to support the operation of such institutions as China Culture Center and Confucius Institute in Cambodia. Both sides will actively support counterpart friendship associations and institutions, think-tanks, media and NGOs to play a bigger role in promoting people-to-people exchanges. Both sides also agreed to effectively implement the Memorandum of Understanding on Tourism Cooperation (2017-2020) with a view to achieve 2 million Chinese tourists to visit Cambodia by 2020. The Chinese side will continue to provide assistance to the conservation and restoration of the ancient Angkor heritage, the Preah Vihear Temple and other cultural complexes in Cambodia.
(6) To strengthen coordination and cooperation within the frameworks of Mekong-Lancang Cooperation, ASEAN-China Cooperation and other mechanisms, jointly push forward the construction of an ever closer ASEAN-China community of common destiny, so as to make greater contributions to upholding regional and global stability, development and prosperity. China congratulated Cambodia for successfully hosting the 2nd Mekong-Lancang Leaders’ Meeting in Phnom Penh and expressed appreciation for the active and significant role played by Cambodia in this growing sub-regional cooperation framework. Cambodia appreciated China’s strong spirit of partnership and unwavering support to Cambodia’s co-chairmanship, which has contributed to the success of the Meeting.
Both sides expressed satisfaction for the stable and continuous sound momentum of the situation in the South China Sea, and called on relevant parties to continue to fully and effectively implement the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea (DOC),deepen pragmatic maritime cooperation, promote the consultation on the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea (COC) for an early conclusion on the basis of mutual consensus, and build the South China Sea into a sea of peace, friendship and cooperation.
5. The two leaders witnessed the signing of 19 cooperation documents including the MoU on Further Promoting the Development of Cambodia-China Technology Transfer Center, MoU for Cooperation in Quality Promotion, Agreement on Economic and Technical Cooperation, Exchange of Notes on Restoration Project of Royal Palace in Angkor, MoU on the Project of “Love Heart Journey” in Cambodia, MoU on Joint Formulation of the Plan on Modern Agriculture Development in Cambodia, Agreement on Establishment of High Value Tree Species Breeding Center in Cambodia, etc.
6. Both sides are of the view that the important and fruitful outcomes of the visit have further consolidated Cambodia-China traditional friendship, deepened pragmatic cooperation in various fields, and pushed the Cambodia-China Comprehensive Strategic Partnership of Cooperation to a new high.
Premier Li Keqiang expressed appreciation for the warm and friendly hospitality extended by the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia and people of Cambodia during the visit, and invited Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen to visit China again in the future. Samdech Techo Prime Minister Hun Sen expressed thanks and accepted the invitation with pleasure.
Phnom Penh, January 11, 2018